We are a UK & Ireland practice with strong connections across all of our studios in Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Sheffield, Cardiff and London. We work collaboratively as one team structured by sector, sharing resources, knowledge and skills. Ranked as one of the top 25 largest practices in the UK this year, other recent accolades include:
- No. 24 in the Best Companies Top 100 Best Large Sized Companies to work for 2022
- Winner Building Awards: Architectural Practice of the Year 2022
- Winner Building Awards: Every Person Counts, the people strategy award
- Winner AJ100 Sustainability Innovation of the Year 2022
- Winner AJ100 Awards Employer of the Year Award 2021
We are looking for a Head of Sustainability to lead our inhouse team to drive our sustainability ambitions and provide leadership for our talented multidisciplinary designers across our studios in the UK and Eire.
The individual should have a background in sustainability and architecture to align with our ambitions for an integrated approach to design and research.
This is an exciting time to join HLM Architects with several high-profile projects underway including the large-scale Passivhaus CHATIC development, a deep retrofit for new sustainable Chemistry facilities and a Passivhaus SEN school. These add to an extensive built portfolio including low-carbon designs for the National Manaufacturing Insititure of Scotland (NMIS), The Wave for the University of Sheffield and Pencoedtre School.
The successful candidate will exhibit the following skills/ experience:
- Experience working in a UK architecture/ environmental design practice.
- Ability to lead current and future sustainability initiatives with inhouse and external teams
- Technical capability and understanding of UK legislation and guidance in relation to environmental sustainability issues.
- Self-motivated with a passion for design, the quality of the environment and client satisfaction
- Great communication skills, verbal, written and presentation – and experience of delivering high-profile speaking engagements on environmental topics
- A sound understanding of sustainable building design and delivery
- Relevant post-graduate and professional qualifications; Certified PassivHaus designer or retrofit qualification desirable.
- Recent experience of working on wholelife net zero carbon buildings and of delivering/ managing the production of thermal, overheating, daylighting and embodied carbon models/analysis using standard industry methodologies.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Develop, monitor, and measure performance against our Strategic Objectives and Sustainability Roadmap.
- Working with the board and marketing team on key PR material.
- Develop a sustainability platform within the company project information systems.
- Create and maintain resources for teams
- Assisting project teams
- Identify key team members to support our objectives
- Be part of the business strategic plan to make HLM’s business operations zero carbon by 2030.
We offer a blended work model with a flexible approach to studio and remote working, along with a friendly studio environment, an award-winning lifestyle package, and a commitment to your personal development through the HLM Academy.
Diversity, inclusion and belonging (DIB) is at the core of our business. We advocate equal opportunities, creating an inclusive working environment for all. If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different mode please contact our HR team for assistance
If you think this role could be for you, please send your CV and examples of your work.
HLM Architects is an Equal Opportunities Employer.